Class 1 Truck Driver duties include, but are not limited to:
- Operate and drive trucks to transport goods and materials over long distances
- Assist Transportation & Materials Supervisor in planning trip logistics and obtaining necessary documents to transport goods
- Load and unload cargo
- Ensure cargo is secured properly compliant with safety requirements
- Follow safety procedures for transporting hazardous goods
- Perform pre-trip, en-route and post-trip inspection of vehicle and load
- Record cargo information, hours of service, distance travelled and fuel expenditure
- Manage bills of lading
- Maintain log books
- Communicate with Transportation & Materials Supervisor, other drivers and customers by means of wireless devices and on-board computers
- Report any incidents to Transportation & Materials Supervisor
- Follow all appropriate traffic laws
- Report serious mechanical problems to the Transportation & Materials Supervisor and Plant Manager
- Keep truck and associated equipment tidy and in good working order
- Plan lifts and communicate with people on the ground via verbal communication, hand signals, and radios ensuring safety is of upmost importance
Class 1 Truck Drivers work from both verbal instructions and printed pick-up and delivery lists. A 40-hour five-day work week is normal, but overtime may be required to meet deadlines. Class 1 Truck Drivers will be working in a manufacturing shop setting, as well as outside and on vendor and customer sites (often in noisy, dusty conditions). They work in various locations, in all types of weather. Considerable bending, reaching, and lifting and driving for long periods of time may be required.
Skills and Abilities
The work is most rewarding for people who enjoy developing special skills and putting them to use in a variety of ways.
To be successful, Class 1 Truck Drivers need:
- to be in good physical condition and have good vision
- a mechanical aptitude
- strength, stamina and the use of proper lifting techniques required to handle heavy tools and parts weighing up to 25 kilograms;
- required to be self-motivated, good people skills are a MUST.
- Self-starter who enjoys responsibility and accountability.
- Decision making skills. Strong communication skills – by telephone and in person
- Use general, impact, power and air tools and airlines
- A friendly, outgoing personality and ability to work with individuals, groups and other organizations to carry out goals of the organization
- Perform all work in a safe manner, following work instructions and / or safe operating procedures
- It is an included and expected responsibility that Health & Safety of the employee as well as fellow employees be a part of everyone’s everyday activities when employed.
- patience, dependability and accuracy
- ability to take direction, and then report back to a supervisor upon completion of job
Education and Experience:
- Valid Class 1 Driver’s License
- MUST BE ABLE TO PASS A PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG AND ALCOHOL TEST
Possess a suitable combination of education and experience as deemed acceptable by the Management, to be able to perform the responsibilities outlined in this Job Description
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. MakLoc cannot confirm if applications have been received, therefore does not accept recruitment calls. Please use the contact form below to apply. NO RECRUITMENT AGENCIES.